An exciting internship opportunity within FinMark Trust (FMT) has arisen. The successful candidate will work closely with the Head of Information and Research on different research projects and other research activities. The intern should be highly driven, with a passion for research, data analysis, data management and reporting, high levels of curiosity for solving complex problems in data and research. FMT has been a data pioneer in Financial Inclusion since 2002. The internship is based in Midrand, South Africa:
Responsibilities of this role
The role of the intern would be to provide dedicated support to the activities of the Information and Research especially implementation of FinScope surveys (i.e. survey design, data management, data analysis and report writing). Further, in the data management process, interns are required to keep an audit trail of the codes/syntaxes used. This role will include support to research teams where needed, limited desktop-based research, copy-editing, structuring of information and data into a clear and usable format; contributing to project outcomes and findings through critical analysis; and report writing. If you recently or are currently completing an Honours or Master’s degree in Statistics or related fields (such as Applied/Mathematical Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Demography) and are interested in obtaining work experience, you are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are looking for candidates with the following important attributes:
- Attention to detail
- Advanced English language skills (verbal and written);
- Good writing and presentation skills;
- Proficiency in MS office applications;
- Demonstrated interest in Mathematical Statistics, the field of development Economics and financial sector development or any relevant field;
- Good quantitative and analytical skills;
- A strong interest in research-related activities;
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a team; and
- Proficiency in Statistical packages – SPSS (preferred), STATA or R. FMT uses SPSS as its official software for data analysis.